1. We Take Privacy Seriously
Mizzen is a project of the Charles Stewart Mott Foundation, operated through its wholly-owned subsidiary, Mott Afterschool App, LLC. With its long commitment to providing opportunities and safe spaces for children and youth to learn and grow, the Foundation has become a champion of afterschool and summer learning programs — and the Mizzen app is its next major step.
Having been deeply entrenched in the Education sector for over 90 years, we understand our responsibility to both support the effective use of student information and safeguard student privacy and information security.
The primary users of the Mizzen application will be teachers, volunteers, program staff, and other adult supervisors and front-line providers within the Afterschool focused organizations and programs. Students will NOT and do not have access to the Mizzen application.
2. Collection of Personal Information
2.1 Information Provided to Us
The Mizzen application collects personal information to provide users with the product and/or service requested, in this case certain class management functions such as attendance taking.
- User Registration and Profile Information: We collect information about you when you create an account for use of the Mizzen application, which may include your name, title, email address, organization affiliation, state, username and password (stored as cryptographic hashes). We may also receive personal information from your organization, which may include name, title, email address, and organization affiliation, to create a user account for you.
- Creating an Organization: We collect information during the application sign-up process to gather information about the Afterschool organization who will be utilizing the application. This information may include the organization name, state, city, program size, annual budget, organization type and notes.
- Creating a Group: The Mizzen application organizes students into groups. A group contains the number of students in a class and certain demographic characteristics of such students. The information collected is also focused on logistical information used to manage each group, which may include group name, school, age range, start date and end date, and start time and end time. No personally identifiable information is collected from students as part of the group creation process.
- Taking Attendance: Users of the Mizzen application will take attendance during each session the group meets by counting the aggregate number of students present in class that day.
- Aggregated Data Reporting: Anonymized, aggregated data will be used to create reports for Mott Foundation staff as well as content providers to get a better sense of how programs and curriculums are performing.
2.2 Information We Collect from Use of Our Services
3. Information Security
Information security is very important to us. We use a combination of internal processes, technology, and physical security controls to help protect personal information from unauthorized access, disclosure, use, or modification. To help protect the privacy of the information collected by the Mizzen application, we employ encryption in data transmission and storage. We have internal policies and processes directed towards limiting access to personal information to our employees, contractors, and agents who need to know.
Please be aware, however, that despite our efforts, no security measures are perfect or impenetrable and no method of data transmission can be guaranteed against any interception or other type of misuse.
4. Transfer of Information
5. Applicable Jurisdictions
This Policy applies to our end users and to visitors to the Mizzen application, which for purposes of this Agreement is located in the State of Michigan, USA. We do not represent that it complies with privacy laws outside the United States.
6. Information for California Residents
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), effective January 1, 2020 is a California bill that enhances privacy rights and consumer protections for residents of California.
CCPA establishes guidelines for a consumer’s rights to control the use, deletion, access and portability of their private information (PI).
The Mizzen application complies with consumer’s rights to use, deletion, access, and portability of private information (PI) in accordance with the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (CCPA), California Civil Code Section § 1798.140. California residents can make such requests by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. Contact Us
If you have any questions, please contact us:
Mott Afterschool App, LLC
Attn: Chief Privacy Officer
Mott Foundation Building
503 S. Saginaw Street, Suite 1200
Flint, Michigan 48502
8. Effective Date